The UK’s future skills-based immigration system:
The Government has published a White Paper setting out proposed new post-Brexit immigration rules. There are plans to phase in the new system from 2021.
Some of the key proposals contained within the White Paper are:
- To scrap the current cap on the number of skilled workers from the EU and elsewhere;
- A consultation on a minimum salary requirement of £30,000 for skilled migrants seeking five-year visas;
- To enable low-skilled workers from certain countries including the EU to apply for work visas of up to a year;
- Freedom of movement will end, regardless of whether the UK leaves the EU with a deal;
- Visitors to the UK from the EU will not need visas.
The proposed changes are likely to impact many employers so should be borne in mind by all.
A link to both the White Paper and a helpful executive summary can be found here: