Our Wealth of Experience in this Sector
As stated on our landing page we have considerable experience of acting for a substantial number of local and national Faith Based Institutions, many of them for a great number of years.
Laura is the Diocesan Registrar for the Church of England Diocese of Newcastle and the Diocese of Carlisle. She provides a unique service for the Anglican Church and is particularly strong on ecumenical matters (including Local Ecumenical Partnerships and building sharing agreements) due to the depth and breadth of their experience.
Our Faith Based Institutions Team is exceptionally strong, headed up by Laura Peace and including Partner Paul Liddle and consultants, Claire Morgan and Sue Hennessey all of whom are very experienced and known nationally for their work in this sector. Other experienced lawyers work within this team to supply access to the appropriate level of fee earner as required by our clients.
The depth and breadth of work that we have undertaken for our Faith Based Institution clients over many years of diverse instructions means that we have the necessary experience to deal with all your requirements.
As Sintons LLP is a multi-service firm we have lawyers in other legal disciplines who, when required, offer advice to our Faith Based Institution clients and form part of our broader team. This may encompass business, company, commercial, employment, construction and personal/family law. We would mention:
- Faith Based Institutions usually require advice on charity law as part of their services. We are particularly strong on this aspect and partner Amanda Maskery, who leads the Charity Team, is a key player in providing charity law services to significant charitable and public sector bodies nationally;
- Alex Rayner is lead partner in our Construction and Engineering team. He was a quantity surveyor prior to qualifying as a solicitor and his advice is practical and relevant. He has substantial experience in advising clients, particularly charities, in relation to development. His broad experience encompasses acting for a wide range of stakeholders in construction including developers, contractors, sub-contractors, institutional lenders and professional consultants – he can therefore provide a comprehensive overview and regularly gives seminars to industry professionals and clients.
The services which we can offer to Faith Based Institutions draws upon our many years of receiving instructions from them and (briefly) include the following:
Real estate: all manner of property work from complex multi-million pound development projects to the sale of individual manses and church buildings to include:
- sales and purchases;
- easements and licences;
- leases and licences and occupational disputes;
- licences for alterations and underletting;
- building sharing agreements;
- registration of title;
- resolution of title difficulties including contested boundaries and other contractual dispute resolution matters including mediation through our highly experienced dispute resolution team;
- site assembly;
- development agreements including options, overage agreement and conditional contracts;
- telecoms leases.
Construction: all manner of construction property work including:
- drafting and negotiating of construction and engineering contracts;
- drafting and negotiating of a wide range of ancillary construction documents;
- dispute avoidance;
- dispute resolution.
Corporate and Commercial matters:
- general services for organisations including charities and in the voluntary sector;
- commercial contracts;
- joint ventures;
- sub-contracting arrangements;
- intellectual property.
- governance and corporate structure;
- local ecumenical partnerships;
- guidance on trustees as to their duties as trustees.
- advice on a wide range of employment related matters;
- employment tribunals;
- redundancies and re-organisations;
- advice on the status of volunteers (of which there are usually many in Charitable organisations).
Personal and Family:
A full range of services for your member individuals including:
- powers of attorney;
- family disputes;
- matrimonial and children matters.
We regularly produce seminars, webinars and podcasts across various teams, dealing with subjects of interest to our Faith Based Institution and Charitable clients and we are open to topic suggestions from our clients. We can, if required, deliver training local to the clients by arrangement.