Other State Assistance

In the event that you have sustained a personal injury causing ongoing disability you may not only be eligible for certain state benefits but also other forms of state assistance.

Home & Housing

Council Tax Reduction:  Should it be necessary to modify your home in light of injuries you have sustained this could lead to an increase in the level of Council Tax that must be paid. Where the modifications have been necessary because of your disability however you can apply for the higher rate of Council Tax to be reduced to the previous level.

Housing Benefit: In the event that you are suffering a significant loss of earnings as a direct consequence of your personal injury it may be possible to obtain housing benefit from your Local Council.

Social Services & Provision of Aids and Equipment

In the event that you are significantly disabled as a result of your personal injury it may be possible to obtain aids and equipment from your Local Authority to help you live independently at home or to improve your quality of life.  You should approach your Local Authority in order to establish what services may be available as these will vary from region to region.

Television Licence Discount

Should you lose your sight or become visually impaired as a result of an accident you may be able to obtain a 50% reduction from the cost of your television licence.

To obtain the discount you must be registered blind or severely sight impaired or alternatively live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired.

VAT Relief for Disabled People

If you are disabled or have a long term illness it may be possible to avoid charges on VAT where products are designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use.  The exemption also applies to any repairs and maintenance required in relation to such products.

Products or services which are VAT exempt include: adjustable beds, stair lifts, wheelchairs, medical appliances to help with severe injuries, alarms, disabled motor vehicles/leasing of a motability vehicle, building work including ramps, widening doors and the installation of a lift or toilet.

Suppliers of the products should be able to provide the necessary information to allow you to seek the exemption.

At Sintons our personal injury specialists can advise you on issues relating to state benefits and how they may affect your claim.  All claims for personal injury compensation are pursued on a No Win No Fee basis so you can rest assured that there is no financial risk.

To begin a personal injury compensation claim or obtain further advice with no obligation contact Sintons 24/7.