Mobility Allowance/Personal Independence Payment

If you have suffered a personal injury which affects your mobility, you may be entitled to claim a Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  The benefit is made up of two components and the level of payment depends on the degree to which the injury/disability affects you. The two components refer to restrictions faced with either mobility or daily living. PIP replaces Mobility Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.

You must have suffered restricted mobility as a result of the injury or illness for 3 months and it is anticipated that such restrictions will persist for at least 9 months. Different time limits apply where the condition is terminal.

Payment is not dependent on any other income or your level of savings, but rather the level of disability. It is also a tax free benefit. For more information visit the Government website. If you are entitled to Mobility Allowance you may also be able to receive other benefits or allowances. For further information see Travel Allowances.

If you recover damages for the additional traveling costs you will now incur as part of your claim for personal injury compensation, any Mobility Allowance/PIP received would have to be repaid to the Compensation Recovery Unit. This would only be to the extent that it extinguished the damages recovered for extra travel costs. In addition repayment does not apply to benefits received after the date of trial or any earlier settlement.

At Sintons our personal injury specialists can advise you on issues relating to state benefits and how they may affect your claim.  All claims for personal injury compensation are pursued on a No Win No Fee basis so you can rest assured that there is no financial risk.

To begin a personal injury compensation claim or obtain further advice with no obligation contact Sintons 24/7.