Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment

If you have suffered a personal injury giving rise to a long term and significant disability you may be entitled to claim a Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  The benefit is made up of two components and the level of payment depends on the degree to which the injury/disability affects you. The two components refer to restrictions faced with either daily living or mobility. PIP replaces Disability Living Allowance and Mobility Allowance.

You must have suffered significant difficulties for 3 months and they must be expected to last for at least 9 months. Different time limits apply where the condition is terminal.

It remains a tax free benefit.

Disability Living Allowance is also available where extra costs are incurred in looking after a child provided they are under 16 and have significant difficulties walking or need considerably more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.  The rate payable will vary depending upon the level of help required. For more information visit the Government website.

If you recover damages for care and assistance as part of your claim for personal injury compensation, any DLA/PIP received would have to be repaid to the Compensation Recovery Unit. This would only be to the extent that the benefits received extinguished the damages recovered for any care and assistance that had been provided. In addition repayment does not apply to benefits received after the date of trial or any earlier settlement.

At Sintons our personal injury specialists can advise you on issues relating to state benefits and how they may affect your claim. All personal injury claims are pursued on a No Win No Fee basis so you can rest assured that there is no financial risk.

To begin a personal injury compensation claim or obtain further advice with no obligation contact Sintons 24/7.