Inheritance Act claims

If someone has died without making ‘reasonable financial provision’ for you then you may be able to make a claim on their estate using the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, if you fit into one of the categories of claimant.

You can bring an Inheritance Act claim if you have been excluded from a person’s will, do not benefit on their intestacy (for example, as their cohabiting partner) or if you were included in the will but who did not receive as much as you need.

We can advise you on either making or defending an Inheritance Act claim. We act for individuals, professional executors and charities.

Whoever we represent we will work hard to achieve a settlement out of court wherever possible and we regularly represent clients at mediation. However, if court proceedings are required and in your best interests we will pursue matters to a contested hearing.

Our specialist team has considerable experience in representing parties in Inheritance Act claims. We are sensitive to the issues and family dynamics that can arise during the course of such a claim.

If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us or request a callback.