Tom is a Partner and Head of the Agriculture and Estates department and has a detailed knowledge of Agricultural Holdings, Rural Business, Commercial Real Estate, Renewables Projects and Mines and Minerals.
- He specialises in Rural and Agricultural issues including Agricultural Holdings Act Tenancies and is a Fellow of the Agricultural Law Association
- Tom’s experience extends to all facets of the development process, acting for landowners and developers, from site acquisition, investment, planning, secured funding, construction issues, lettings and enhanced disposal
- Tom has significant experience in advising on landlord and tenant law including sales and leasebacks, break clauses and on the property and land aspects of commercial deals
- Tom has acted on a number of wind farm and open cast coal projects in the North East and appreciates both sides of the coin, having acted on behalf of both landowners and developers
- He has a breadth of experience in acting upon acquisitions or disposals of freehold or leasehold farms and working rural businesses. He understands and deals with basic payment scheme entitlements and agri-environment schemes
- Regularly acts for a range of clients in the agricultural, commercial, residential and waste management and energy sectors
- Tom has a good understanding of agri-business and significant experience in acting upon the registration and transfer of mineral/manorial and sporting rights
In his spare time Tom enjoys travelling with his family, golf, socialising with friends and eating and drinking not necessarily in that order!
The Legal 500 2021 Guide listed Tom as a leading individual.
In the Legal 500 2019 Guide Tom was described as “always has a full grasp of the issues and hence is able to do what is required with minimal fuss. He always comes across as extremely competent and confident.”
In the Legal 500 2018 Guide Tom was described as being “approachable and knowledgeable…he has the ability to tackle complex deals”. The real estate team was also described as “strong, diligent and attentive” and one of the biggest and most capable in the region.
The Legal 500 2017 described the Agriculture and Estates team as being ‘top notch’.
The Chambers UK 2021 Guide described Tom as being “very knowledgeable about his subject and gave sound advice in a timely manner.”
The Chambers UK 2020 Guide described Tom as being “consistent in his communication and understanding.”
Tom has been described in every Chambers guide since 2017 as being a ‘recognised practitioner’.
Tom was praised in the Legal 500 2016 as “specialising in a wide range of rural issues” and offering “high quality advice relating to rural landlords and tenant issues”.
Key Practice Areas
- Agricultural Law
- Real Estate and Planning
- Rural Business
- Energy, Renewables and Resources
- Mines and Minerals
- Farm Sales and Purchases