Sarah is a Partner and Head of the Licensing and Gambling team at Sintons.
- Advising on all aspects of the laws relating to supply of alcohol, provision of entertainment, late night refreshment, sex establishments, gambling activity, civil marriage approvals, pavement licences and associated planning applications
- Preparing and presenting evidence in respect of applications, reviews and appeal hearings
- Working with Local Authority Officers and Responsible Bodies to achieve quick, cost effective results
- Dealing with and resolving enforcement and regulatory issues
- Presenting seminars and training to clients and trade groups
- Working with the leisure services, regulatory and planning teams in order to provide clients with the full service support they require in their businesses
Sarah has been listed as a ‘leading individual‘ by the Legal 500 since 2016 and her team was praised its ability to act for major regional and nationally-known operators. Sarah is renowned for her ability to genuinely support a client and achieve results.
The 2022, 2023 & 2024 guides listed Sarah in the Hall of Fame and said “Sarah Smith is one of the best licensing solicitors in the country – an exceptionally competent individual.” The 2023 guide added “Sarah Smith is one of the best licensing solicitors in the country. Her friendly and approachable style belies a steely determination to achieve the best outcome for our clients. She is well known and well liked by committees and responsible authorities. She has immense knowledge of licensing and the sector and her applications are always comprehensively tested before being made”. The 2024 guide added “If Carlsberg did licensing law, they would do it like Sarah Smith. Knowledgeable, thorough, personable, optimistic yet realistic, Sarah is very highly regarded by the trade and by licensing authorities. She is a shining example of what a solicitor should be.”
Sarah has been ranked as a notable practitioner in the Chambers UK Guides since 2017.
The 2024 Guide said “Sarah is very astute and tuned into our needs and always gets us the results we want.”
The Chambers 2023 UK Guide noted “Sarah Smith is the licensing solicitor par excellence, dedicated and committed to her client’s cause.”
The Chambers 2021 UK Guide added “I always found her to be very prompt and, most importantly, very aware of the challenges of our industry” and “she is very efficient and well qualified to deal with licensing matters.”
The Chambers 2021 UK Guide said “Sarah is a pleasure to work with. She is easy to contact, very intelligent and knowledgeable in the field of licensing.” “She is very familiar with the law and the local policies and she always provides good and knowledgeable advice. She goes above and beyond.” “She has been excellent. She is very meticulous and detailed, but also explains things in layman’s terms.”
The Chambers 2020 UK Guide describes Sarah as having “an excellent reputation in the North East market.” and an “ability to explain complex issues in layman’s terms.“
Key Practice Areas
- Licensing and Gambling
- Leisure Services
- Regulatory Services
- Taxi Licensing