Paul is the partner in charge of the Wills, Trusts and Probate Team and also heads up the Personal and Family Department as a whole. He has a wealth of experience advising some of the region’s wealthiest individuals in relation to their private client matters.
- Paul studied law at university in both Norwich and the Netherlands
- Since qualifying as a solicitor in 1997, Paul has specialised in private client work and has worked at several leading national and international law firms
- Paul has developed an expertise in the administration of estates, including those with business assets, agricultural land and foreign property. He has considerable experience preparing wills for high net worth individuals and advising in relation to inheritance tax. Paul is regularly appointed by the Court of Protection as a professional deputy in relation to vulnerable clients
- Paul is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Paul is a Full Accredited Member of Solicitors for the Elderly
- He is a member of the Northumbria University Law School Advisory Panel offering advice on curriculum content and identifying areas for on-going development
- Paul has been named as a “Leading Individual” by the Legal 500 every year since 2015 and has been listed as a “Notable Practitioner” by Chambers & Partners since 2016
- The Wills, Trusts & Probate Team won Private Client Team of the Year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards and has been shortlisted for Private Client Team of the year in the Legal 500’s Northern Powerhouse Awards 2023
Paul was praised by the Legal 500 for being “excellent with clients and responding immediately and taking action without delay”. The 2023 Guide added “Paul Nickalls – well deserved strong reputation as both a practitioner and leader. Empowers team members to manage client relationships directly.”
Paul was highly ranked in the 2023 Chambers & Partners high net worth and private wealth law category.
The 2023 Chambers & Partners described Paul as “an absolute top-quality lawyer who is so easy to deal with.” A commentator added: “Paul consistently delivers and is a highly experienced private client lawyer.”
The 2022 Chambers & Partners guide noted Paul for his”significant technical expertise and depth of experience” in private client matters.
In the 2019 guide, Paul was hailed as “being careful with good attention to detail and [having] an excellent manner with clients”.
Key Practice Areas
- Probate & estate administration
- Lasting powers of attorney
- Court of Protection
- Inheritance tax planning