Paul is a partner in the Personal & Family Department. He has a wealth of experience in advising clients on a wide range of private client matters.
- Paul studied law at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne and completed his LPC at the University of Northumbria. During his time at Newcastle University, he was awarded the prize for the best performance in the area of Equity & Trusts
- Since qualifying as a solicitor in 2008, Paul has specialised in private client work. Paul trained at a prestigious firm based in Chester and North Wales
- Paul has developed an expertise in the administration of estates, including those with business assets, agricultural land and foreign property. He has considerable experience preparing straightforward and bespoke wills, advising on succession planning and inheritance tax for business owners and preparing lasting powers of attorney. Paul is experienced in preparing personal injury trusts and other lifetime trusts and in advising trustees on their role
- Paul is experienced in Court of Protection matters, including dealing with applications for Deputyship, inheritance tax planning/advancement of capital gifts, statutory will applications and the removal of incapacitated trustees
- Paul is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and sits on the regional committee
- He is a full member of Solicitors for the Elderly and a Dementia Friend
- The Wills, Trusts & Probate Team won Private Client Team of the Year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards and was shortlisted for Private Client Team of the year in the Legal 500’s Northern Powerhouse Awards 2023. In 2023, the team was given a top tier ranking by Chambers & Partners.
Paul was ranked as a next generation partner in the Legal 500 2023 & 2024 Guides, where it was said “Paul Collingwood – all too rare combination of high level of technical and empathic skills. Very easy to work with collaboratively and high standard of professionalism in delivery.”
Paul was ranked as a rising star in the Legal 500 2022 Guide, where it was said “Sintons have provided impeccable, practical support to my family across a range of personal matters, often in difficult circumstances. They provide clear advice around the most complex areas.”
Paul was listed as up and coming in the 2023 Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide.
Paul was listed as an associate to watch in the 2022 Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide. “I regard Paul as an excellent solicitor, as well as a very decent and caring individual,” says an interviewee. “Paul has impressed with his patience, diligence, professionalism and caring attitude,” states another, adding: “Paul is swift to respond and has always provided sound and independent advice“. The guide also added “Paul is very supportive, attentive and has a brilliant client manner. He instils trust and confidence.”
In his free time, Paul enjoys spending time with his family and travelling. Paul enjoys foreign cuisine and socialising.
Paul has been described as a ‘rising star’ in the Legal 500 since 2019 and as having “significant experience but is also very personable”. The guide said ‘Paul Collingwood is very caring and professional. An absolutely brilliant person.‘
Paul was also rated highly by Legal 500 2017, which praised him for being “very strong with clients, putting them at ease and clearly explaining complex issues”. The 2018 edition also highly rated Paul for his “very caring and responsive manner”.
Key Practice Areas
- Probate & estate administration
- Lasting powers of attorney
- Court of Protection
- Inheritance tax planning