Emma is a partner in the Company and Commercial department. She has experience dealing with a spectrum of corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, buyouts, private equity investments, solvent and insolvent reorganisations and corporate finance.
- Emma studied law at Newcastle University;
- Since qualifying as a solicitor in 2007, Emma has specialised in corporate finance work;
- Emma advises a range of clients from owner managed businesses to large corporate clients on mergers and acquisitions, disposals, MBOs, group reorganisations and restructures and joint ventures;
- Emma also has experience in corporate recovery and distressed business transactions;
- Emma’s clients value her ability to provide practical commercial advice and her professional and focused approach;
- The corporate and commercial team won team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards.
Emma was described by the Legal 500 2023 & 2024 as being a ‘next generation partner’.
The Legal 500 2024 Guide described Emma as “I don’t know a more committed, hard working lawyer than Emma Pern. Emma always has her clients’ interests at heart and she has a razor-sharp intelligence and legal capability which is all delivered in a concise understandable fashion.”
The Legal 500 2022 Guide described Emma as “friendly, very efficient speed of service, availability for discussions and advice.”
The Legal 500 2021 & 2022 Guides listed Emma as a rising star, stating “Emma Pern is clear and concise in her approach, and extremely personable.”
Emma was described by the Legal 500 2017 & 2018 as being a ‘next generation lawyer’ for her potential in the corporate field and a ‘rising star’ in the 2019 edition.
The Chambers & Partners 2023 & 2024 Guides listed Emma as an Up and Coming Lawyer where it was said “Emma is good at building relationships. She runs things smoothly and has a good grasp of the legal issues as well as the ability to pragmatically walk clients through a deal.”
The 2024 Guide added “I cannot speak highly enough of Emma. Her hard work, dedication and professionalism are absolutely second to none. She has an incredibly sharp legal mind.” “Emma is an exceptional legal adviser. She was practical and delivered excellent client service.”
The Chambers UK Guide described the Corporate team as having “Excellent service levels. They are very responsive and commercially minded” and that“they are insightful, intelligent, professional, and an extension of my business. They feel like part of our everyday life and business.”
- In 2019 Emma acted on the:
- Sale of majority interest in Co-wheels Car Club to Oply UK Ltd to create European-wide Oply network;
- Sale of TDX (Europe) Limited to Italian-based AMB SPA;
- Acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Manor House Leisure Limited which operates Karting North East.
Outside of work Emma loves to travel.
Key Practice Areas
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate Finance and Private Equity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business Support & Restructuring