Emelie qualified as a Solicitor in our Contentious Probate department specialising in trust, probate and Court of Protection disputes in September 2019, following 6 months of training in each of the non-contentious private client and contentious probate departments.
Emelie represents both claimants and defendants and advises on disputes arising from trust and probate issues such as will challenges, administration disputes, the removal of executors and trustees and claims Inheritance (Provision for Family Dependants) Act 1975.
Emelie joined Sintons in September 2017 following the completion of the MLaw (Exempting) Degree at Northumbria University, which incorporates the Legal Practice Course, achieving first-class honours. She is now in the process of completing the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) course to hone her expertise in her field. Emelie is also an affiliate member of STEP and a member of the Contentious Trusts Association (ConTrA).
- Professional negligence in will revocation – negotiated a settlement for our clients as intestate beneficiaries, where the deceased was incorrectly advised as to the revocation of her will;
- Administration dispute – obtained a settlement for the executors of an estate that had administered an estate following advice that the will was invalid;
- Will dispute and Inheritance Act claim – successfully negotiated a settlement at mediation on a multifaceted claim for a client with complex mental health difficulties
- Administration dispute – acted for a client to obtain vacant possession of jointly-owned property inherited from an Estate, which was occupied by a sole beneficiary;
- Will rectification – advised a beneficiary on an application for will rectification.
Outside of work, Emelie is a music enthusiast and enjoys playing the flute, piano and saxophone and being part of a choir. She also spends a lot of time out walking with her cocker spaniel, discovering some of the wonderful places the North East has to offer.
The Legal 500 2022 Guide listed Emelie as a key individual, stating “they give you the confidence to know that they will deliver what is required. They cover every field with the best people for the job in hand.”
Emelie was recommended by the Legal 500 2021 Guide, being described as “an excellent communicator, a highly knowledgeable professional in her field, calm, understanding and determined.”
The contentious probate team was also described as “responsive and committed to its clients and they don’t see their clients as fees but as people.”
Key Practice Areas
- Will Challenges
- Administration Disputes
- Inheritance Act Claims
- Removal of Executors
- Court of Protection Disputes
- Proprietary Estoppel Claims