Emelie is a Solicitor specialising in estate, trust and Court of Protection disputes in our Contentious Probate department. In 2021, Emelie completed the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) course to hone her expertise in this field.
Emelie represents both claimants and defendants in disputes arising from trust and probate issues such as will challenges, administration disputes, the removal of executors and trustees and claims pursuant to the Inheritance (Provision for Family Dependants) Act 1975.
Emelie appreciates the sensitive nature of these issues, often involving delicate family relationships. She is committed to her clients and resolving disputes in a cost effective manner.
- Professional negligence in will revocation – negotiated a settlement for our clients as intestate beneficiaries, where the deceased was incorrectly advised as to the revocation of her will;
- Administration dispute – obtained a settlement for the executors of an estate that had administered an estate following advice that the will was invalid;
- Will dispute and Inheritance Act claim – successfully negotiated a settlement at mediation on a multifaceted claim for a client with complex mental health difficulties
- Administration dispute – acted for a client to obtain vacant possession of jointly-owned property inherited from an Estate, which was occupied by a sole beneficiary;
- Will rectification – advised a beneficiary on an application for will rectification.
Outside of work, Emelie is a music enthusiast and enjoys playing the flute, piano and saxophone and being part of a choir. She also spends a lot of time out walking with her cocker spaniel with her daughter, discovering some of the wonderful places the North East has to offer.
The Legal 500 2023 & 2024 Guides listed Emelie as a key individual, where it was said “The Estate was assigned to a Contentious Probate team headed by Emma Saunders (Partner), assisted by Emelie Rowell (Solicitor) and Jonathan Grogan (Associate) at the last stage. Most of the Estate’s contact was through Emelie Rowell. The Estate was impressed with the team’s ability to digest all the information given, separate the relevant, and simplify the matter which was necessary to the English Estate. Their communication were decisive, comprehensive and relevant. Usage of in house specialist teams to assist in the matter was invaluable. The Estate highly recommends Sintons LLP and mentioned team for any similar contentious probate issues.”
The 2024 Guide added “I have felt I have received a highly expert, personalised service from Sintons from the moment Emma Saunders answered the phone on my first enquiry. Together with Emelie Rowell they have delivered the most cost effective advice and solutions at each stage, taking into account all the factors at play to arrive at the best way forward in my dispute. I am very glad I chose Sintons to assist me.”
Emelie was listed as an associate to watch in the 2022 & 2023 Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guides. She was described a “giving pragmatic, honest advice. She has the client’s interests at heart and pursues matters in a robust and tenacious fashion. She is an excellent communicator, and a highly knowledgeable professional in her field. She is calm, understanding and determined.”
Initially recommended by the Legal 500 2021 Guide, the Legal 500 2022 Guide later listed Emelie as a key individual, stating “they give you the confidence to know that they will deliver what is required. They cover every field with the best people for the job in hand.”
The contentious probate team was also described as “responsive and committed to its clients and they don’t see their clients as fees but as people.”
Key Practice Areas
- Will Challenges
- Administration Disputes
- Inheritance Act Claims
- Removal of Executors
- Court of Protection Disputes
- Proprietary Estoppel Claims