David has specialised in Real Estate finance over nearly 20 years, acting for all the main lenders and numerous corporate or private borrowers such as commercial investors and housing associations. He has extensive experience in heading up large teams to deal with large scale portfolio securitisations and other complex funding exercises. David has the experience to identify and deal with issues in a commercial, pragmatic and efficient manner.
- Acting for a major social housing provider in producing certificates of title for a property portfolio valued at £250m as part of a sale and leaseback exercise, heading up a multi fee earner team in certifying title to 150 properties.
- Acting for a lender in a £90m funding of a multi-let office building in the City of London, subject to complex lease structures and management agreements, requiring extremely technical analysis, and detailed but clear explanation to the client.
- Acting for a local authority in the provision of a £6m loan to fund the acquisition and development of a hotel site.
- Acting for a high street lender with regard to its portfolio of business premises, including negotiating leases of new branches, licences for works and disposals.
- Heading up the real estate team in a corporate investors intragroup transfer and securitisation of £145m worth of assets involving the certification of more than 500 titles.
- Acting for a government department in the £15m funding of a college merger requiring the review, negotiation and reporting upon 12 certificates of title in a two week timeframe.
- Acting for a pharmacy business with regard to its portfolio of business premises, including negotiating leases of new premises, renewal leases, surrenders and granting of security.
- Acting for a commercial investor in the £14m acquisition of a trading estate with five working days between instruction and exchange of contracts, requiring urgent due diligence on a multi-let property.
- Acting for a lender in the £70m funding of a multi-let office building in Leeds
David was recommended by the Legal 500 2021, being described as “a terrific lawyer.”
David was recommended by the Legal 500 2019 being described as ‘first class.’
David was recommended in the Legal 500 2018 with the real estate team being described as “strong, diligent and attentive” and one of the biggest and most capable in the region.
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide commented that the “the work undertaken by the real estate team is always of a high standard and they’re very strong in their area of operation.”
Away from work David enjoys spending time with his family, playing tennis, bird-watching and brushing up on his knowledge of obscure ‘80s pop trivia.
Key Practice Areas
- Real Estate
- Property Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Landlord and Tenant
- Commercial Investment