Claire acts as consultant to our Real Estate and Faith Based Institutions teams bringing to the table her many years of experience as a Partner in an international law firm before joining Sintons in 2011.
Claire has considerable expertise in major regional and national property development and regeneration projects and advises on complex transactions which demand substantial depth and breadth of experience.
Her clients include many charities both Faith Based Institutions and other bodies.
Faith Based Institution Experience:
Claire has undertaken complex sale transactions for the Managing Trustees of the Methodist Church, including sales of part site, party wall agreements, options and conditional contract issues.
Her work for the Managing Trustees is valuable and valued, some recent quote from her clients include:
- “Thank you for the generous offer in relation to the final invoice in relation to this project. I am acutely aware of the tremendous amount of time and thought expended by you to bring the matter to a successful conclusion”
- “I have always found Sintons pro-active professional approach a delight to work with”
- “I have especially enjoyed your word craft solutions and imaginative thinking (along with our informal telephone discussions) to arrive at the finishing tape”
In addition Claire has recently completed the following matters for faith based institutions:
- an agreement for lease and lease of a land for a new monastery including building obligations and a right to terminate if the user ceases
- the formation of a CIO to hold land and buildings (including a Roman Catholic parish church) in London for use as an international residential centre
- the grant of a lease to Northumberland County Council of office and garden space for use by an adult learning services arm of the Council including a shared occupation agreement and an agreement for the provision of horticultural services
Real Estate Experience:
Her experience at Sintons includes acting for a buildings preservation trust and prominent local sporting charities.
Notable projects include:
- acquisition and HLF funding of a Grade II listed former corn mill to bring the mill back into productive use and of historic buildings in Cumbria for the development of an information and visitor centre
- development of a new club house with Sport England funding involving a commitment to increased community use and benefit
- an agreement for lease and lease from for the development of a new Sports facility with funding and collateral agreements
Claire is a lay member of the Council of Newcastle upon Tyne University, chair of trustees at Minsteracres Retreat Centre and a trustee of the charity, Northern Ladies Annuity Society. Both of the last two organisations have been through the process of adopting new governance arrangements in recent years, so as well as legal knowledge Claire has considerable practical experience.
Key Practice Areas
- Commercial Property in particular with reference to Charities
- Faith Based Institutions