Christopher is a Partner in the Corporate and Commercial Department. He is an experienced commercial lawyer who advises on a full range of commercial and corporate transactions. Chris was appointed managing partner in August 2020.
- He deals with corporate acquisitions and disposals as well as corporate finance transactions
- Christopher has a particular expertise in the Healthcare and Leisure Sectors
- He also deals with complex tax-driven corporate restructurings usually involving substantial value trading groups often allied to refinancing transactions
- Lectures widely on issues of corporate structure and governance
- His work is also undertaken for clients in relation to joint ventures and other commercial agreements
- Christopher is the firm’s representative of International Jurists – a global network of commercial lawyers
The Legal 500 2022 Guide listed Christopher as a leading individual, stating “each individual partner I work with makes me feel like we are one team. The used language is “we” and “us”, never “I” or “you”. The confidence they give me to run my business is a rare value to find and one that I could not be without. Chris Welch has made both myself and my business the success it is today.”
Christopher was recommended by the Legal 500 2016, 2018 and 2019 and ranked highly and recognised as being a notable practitioner in the Chambers UK Guide since 2017, being described as a “highly experienced lawyer who is regularly involved in corporate and M&A work in the leisure and healthcare sectors.” Commentators say: “He is responsive and professional and ensures that all aspects of transactions are dealt with properly”.
The Chambers UK 2022 Guide described Chris as being “excellent – very attentive to his clients’ needs, and his commercial approach is an added value.” “He is absolutely brilliant. He is level-headed and totally understood what we wanted to do. He gave proper and practical advice and is really organised.”
The Chambers UK 2020 Guide described Chris as “very good at client care and very attentive. He has some loyal clients and is an experienced lawyer.”
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide held Chris in high regard for his experience and depth of knowledge when advising on significant M&A and reorganisations. The Guide also described the Corporate team as having “Excellent service levels. They are very responsive and commercially minded.”
The corporate and commercial team won team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards.
Key Practice Areas
- Corporate Finance and Private Equity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Leisure Services