Andrew McGowan is the Head of the Neurotrauma department at Sintons. He has over 30 years’ experience in high value serious injury work both within the UK and internationally (that includes UK citizens injured abroad and also foreign citizens injured whilst in the UK).
Andrew has a proven track record of leading teams acting on behalf of seriously injured clients and providing support to their families. He is also a strong advocate of early intervention and rehabilitation for clients, working with insurers to ensure early access to the correct and best rehabilitation support available.
- Andrew is an APIL accredited Brain Injury & Spinal Injury lawyer
- He acts for clients nationally & internationally in cases involving brain and spinal injuries
- He has extensive experience of acting on behalf of seriously injured children in Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) proceedings. This includes physically injured children and those with neuro developmental disorders being born to drug and/or alcohol addicted parents
- Andrew has a proven track record of high value settlements and outcomes
- Andrew has developed a niche practice acting on behalf of injured cyclists and working with specialists to provide unique rehabilitation packages to assist them in cycling again
- He is a champion of cyclists rights
Andrew was ranked in the Legal 500 2023 & 2024 Guides as a leading individual, where it was said “I cannot speak highly enough of Andrew McGowan, Head of Neurotrauma, and Alastair Elliot, Senior Associate. Both gentlemen are extremely driven and passionate about the work they do and about achieving the best possible outcome for their clients. They approach clients with compassion, empathy and understanding, always being client-centred. They approach colleagues with respect. They exude warmth whilst maintaining their professionalism which makes those they work for, and with, feel very much at ease rather than intimidated.”
Andrew was ranked in the Legal 500 2021 & 2022 as a rising star.
The personal injury team won praise from the Legal 500 2022 being highlighted for being “really hardworking, efficient and first rate. They go the extra mile and nothing is too much trouble. The client comes first.”
In the Chambers UK 2020 Guide the personal injury team was described as “very approachable, easy to communicate with and supportive.” A source highlighted the team’s “considered and knowledgeable approach to clients with complex and individual needs.”
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide described the personal injury team as being “flexible, responsive and modern in their outlook, and approachable, client-focused and always happy to go that extra mile.”
Outside of work, Andrew enjoys skiing and dog walking in and around his home in County Durham. Andrew is a owner of a PAT (pets as therapy) dog.
Key Practice Areas