Alex Rayner is a Partner and head of the Construction and Engineering department. He advises clients on all things construction, both contentious and non-contentious.
He has extensive experience of the construction industry having been a trainee quantity surveyor prior to qualifying as a solicitor. Having worked in the industry Alex is able to provide relevant and coherent advice to clients designed to meet the practical and commercial needs of the project or transaction. He has substantial experience in advising clients, particularly charities, in relation to construction issues in development of land.
Alex acts for a wide range of industry stakeholders including developers, contractors, sub-contractors, institutional lenders and professional consultants and regularly gives seminars to industry professionals and clients.
- His team has recently advised one of our Faith Based Institution Clients in relation to their proposals for a complex project to acquire land for the purpose of a new build church and community facility. This involved negotiation of a development agreement and lease, advice on procurement options, drafting and negotiating professional appointment, document and a JCT building contract
- Advising on the construction of a care home for a Christian Charity
- Advising the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, undertaking a variety of instructions including drafting building contracts and professional appointments, advising upon construction disputes and carrying out due diligence in respect of construction documents to be provided in property transactions
- Drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction contracts for Bedford Citizens Housing Association Ltd in respect of a two phased development comprising the construction of a 72 bed nursing home and 42 extra care apartments with a combined build cost of over £10 million
- Acting for a large Norfolk based care home operator, drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction contracts for the construction of 25 assisted living bungalows and a 60 bed care home with a combined build cost of over £7 million
- Drafting and negotiating the construction contract for the first professional sports club in the North East to install a 3G synthetic pitch as their main playing surface
- Acting for a housing developer to negotiate a complex Project Management and Development Agreement for the management and construction of a 37 unit development, including profit sharing provisions
- Acting for a large regional contractor drafting extension of time and loss and/or expense claims.
- Drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction contracts on behalf of a North East care home provider in respect of a new 52 bed care home for dementia sufferers, with a build cost of over £4.6 million
- Advising several institutional lenders in relation to construction documentation to be provided as security for development funding to new projects
- Representing various parties in construction adjudication and litigation, including the enforcement of adjudicator’s decisions in the Technology and Construction Court in London.
- Acting for a bespoke housebuilder relating to a defects claim, utilising the Pre-Action Protocol for Construction and Engineering Disputes
- Advising a lift supplier in a defects dispute in relation to a prestigious London development, including conducting settlement negotiations and drafting
- Advising clients as to their entitlement to payment under the ‘Construction Act’ payment provisions
- Advising upon all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) such as mediation, negotiation and adjudication
Outside of work Alex is a keen cricketer and golfer.
Client / Professional Quotes:
Alex was recognised as notable lawyer and an ‘associate to watch’ in the Chambers UK 2017 and 2018 Guides and was described as “standing out for his professionalism and attention to detail” and being “tough when he needs to be tough, but can also be pragmatic and gets deals done.” He acts for contractors, funders, developers and consultants in both contentious and non-contentious matters.
In the Chambers UK 2019 and 2020 Guide, Alex was described as being ‘up and coming’. The 2020 Guide stated…”very knowledgeable, approachable and friendly team. Some of its advantages include commercial and practical advice, speedy responses, and the attention provided by senior lawyers. Our construction advice has primarily been provided by head of the team Alex Rayner”.
In the Chambers UK 2021 Guide, Alex is described as “advising on a range of construction matters, both contentious and non-contentious. He frequently assists clients with drafting a wide array of construction contracts, as well as documentation for construction disputes”. One client notes: “He is great to work with as he offers practical solutions and really understands our business.”
The Legal 500 2018 described the real estate team as being “strong, diligent and attentive” and one of the biggest and most capable in the region.
“Alex has provided us with excellent legal advice enabling us to achieve our desired results. Having dealt with solicitors many times over the years, dealing with Alex is a breath of fresh air. His attitude, knowledge and construction industry experience means he is able to support our business in a truly unique way which is as rare as it is valuable to us.”
Dave Meldrum, Managing Director, Meldrum Construction Services Ltd
“Alex is a trusted advisor on construction matters, having a real insight into the industry, he provides clear and practical advice to both our in house team and to other colleagues within the business. Alex is adaptable and understands the importance of maintaining good relationships with contractors.”
In house solicitor for national PLC client
“Alex is meticulous in his approach, demonstrating a sound knowledge and a clear flair for construction law.”
Doug Ward, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
“Alex has provided us with excellent, prompt commercial advice and support in relation to our recent projects.”
Vanessa Connolly, Bedford Citizens Housing Association.
Key Practice Areas
- Construction & Engineering