Ailsa qualified as a solicitor in January 2013 and joined Sintons shortly afterwards, in May 2013.
Ailsa started out her legal career predominately acting for claimants in the Employment Tribunal on various types of claims including discrimination, whistleblowing, and breach of contract. She now undertakes a wide range of Employment work for both public sector and private sector clients, providing in house support and advising on procedural compliance, human resource issues, employment related disputes and litigation.
Ailsa is the lead client relationship manager for a broad range of charitable organisations, private corporations and NHS Trusts.
- Ailsa has an array of experience advising businesses and trusts on their day-to-day employment law and human resource issues, including disciplinaries, grievances, poor performance, sickness absence and executive terminations;
- Ailsa advises on complex aspects of employment legislation and best practice, such as the implications of TUPE, data protection, IR35, matters arising from corporate due diligence and strategic re-structures;
- Ailsa has experience in running a large litigious case load, including pre-claim complaints and settlement negotiations and has been involved in numerous employment tribunal claims. Ailsa continues in this practice acting for a wide range of respondent clients in various sectors, including public sector, NHS, construction, manufacturing, charities and social enterprises;
- Ailsa has significant experience in defending discrimination claims and has also been involved in complex TUPE litigation involving public sector organisations;
- Ailsa regularly presents at internal and external seminars/webinars on a variety of employment law issues and delivers bespoke inhouse training sessions to clients on matters specifically relevant to their business;
- Ailsa is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
Ailsa is an active participant of Sintons’ social circles and is a keen member of the Sintons Cyclists and the Sintons Singers, who perform annually. She has also started to hone her skills on the golf course and has been complimented on her fantastic golf swing.
Ailsa has been was described by the Legal 500 as a ‘rising star’ since 2020. In 2024 she was ranked as a key individual. The guide stated “Sintons provide an invaluable employment service to my business. With over 200 members of staff in a highly regulated industry, I could not achieve the results I do without their input. Sintons are able to look at each situation and plan accordingly.”
The Chambers UK 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 & 2024 Guides described Ailsa as a ‘notable practitioner’. The 2021, 2022, 2023 & 2024 Guides also recognised Ailsa as an ‘associate to watch’, with one client saying “She is very efficient and gives good advice.”
The 2024 Guide added “Ailsa provides sound employment law advice in any given situation and can adapt with ease to the business needs, particularly where situations have escalated and require an urgent discussion to reach a resolution within the same day.” “She will do exceptionally well in the future. She is very capable, knows her stuff, is very commercial, and does things promptly and comprehensively.” “Ailsa has a very pragmatic approach when giving advice. She has also taken the time to understand our business to make sure that the advice she gives is in context.” “Ailsa is very knowledgeable.” “Ailsa provides very sound HR-related advice.”
The 2023 Guide said “Ailsa is very professional and has good knowledge of employment law, as well as an understanding of business needs.” “Ailsa is a highly valued adviser and a great support to our team. She is someone who we have a great deal of trust and confidence in.”
Ian Pickett – Drayton Partners
“It takes three attributes to be a strong lawyer: subject matter expert, commercial outlook and an engaging personality and Ailsa has the rare blend of being strong in all three areas.”
Jonathan Greenwood – Close House Golf Club Limited
“Ailsa has flawlessly and effortlessly dealt with some of the most challenging employment situations that we have encountered on our behalf.”
“Ailsa’s professional yet relaxed style is conducive to building strong and effective working relationships.”
“Ailsa understands that we’re running a business and that we need to make decisions that are partly commercially biased. She factors this into her advice and makes sure that we appreciate where we may be best taking a pragmatic rather than a purist approach.”
Key Practice Areas
- HR Business Support
- Healthcare – NHS
- Employment Litigation
- Restrictive Covenants