Adrian is a Partner in the Corporate and Commercial department. Adrian advises a range of clients from owner managed businesses to large corporate clients on corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, disposals, management buy outs and other corporate finance transactions.
Adrian also advises both investors and investee companies on a range of private equity transactions and fund raising.
Adrian also advises clients on restructuring and has experience in corporate recovery and distressed business transactions.
Some of Adrian’s recent transaction experience includes:
- Acting on the demerger and subsequent disposal of a children’s residential care business comprising 42 care homes and 3 schools to a private equity buyer;
- Acting for a manufacturer of electric motors on its equity investment by VC, trade and private investors;
- Advising the North East England Chamber of Commerce on the disposal of its training business to Middlesbrough College;
- Advising an operator of hotels and golf courses on its national acquisition programme;
- Advising several university spin out companies on all aspects of their spin out and investment;
- Acting on the management buy out of Homefair Blinds;
- Lead advisor to a recycling business on a series of private equity and bank fund raising rounds raising a total of in excess of £25m.
Adrian has specialist sector experience acting on corporate transactions in the following sectors in particular:
- Veterinary – Adrian has acted on the disposal of several high profile veterinary practices in the North East and nationally;
- Retail Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical wholesale – Adrian has significant experience acting on the acquisition and disposal of retail pharmacies and wholesalers;
- Care – Adrian has significant experience acting for clients operating elderly and specialist care homes, domiciliary care providers and residential and care services for children;
- Energy, Resources & Renewables sector – Adrian has acted on a number of high-profile transactions particularly in the recycling and waste management sectors.
Outside of work Adrian is a keen road cyclist, golfer and plays hockey for Morpeth HC.
Adrian was recommended by the Legal 500 2017, 2018, & 2019 and was ranked highly and recognised as being a notable practitioner in the Chambers UK 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021 Guides.
The Chambers UK 2018 Guide described Adrian as having a strong focus on private equity fund-raisings as part of a broad corporate transactional practice. Sources say: “He is very calm under pressure and takes a very commercial approach.”
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide described Adrian as “going above and beyond for his clients.” The Guide also described the Corporate team as having “Excellent service levels. They are very responsive and commercially minded.”
The Chambers UK 2020 Guide described Adrian as “a very good lawyer who is well established with a sophisticated client base in the region.”
The corporate and commercial team won team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards.
Key Practice Areas
- Corporate Finance and Private Equity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business Support and Restructuring
- Leisure Services
- Energy, Renewables and Resources