Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Temporary event notices (TENs) allow premises to provide sale of alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment without the need for a premises licence or club premises certificate.

They can be utilised at venues which don’t normally have licences (a marquee in a field, a community hall etc) or they can be used in conjunction with an existing premises licence to permit activities not normally allowed, to extend the hours of existing activities or to allow licensed premises to operate outside of the conditions on the licence.

TENs were introduced by Government as a light touch process but in reality the procedure is complex.

Here is a brief summary of restrictions that TENs are subject to:


  • Only 15 temporary event notices may be given for any particular premises in a calendar year;
  • The maximum duration of any event authorised by a TEN is 168 hours (7 days);
  • The maximum total duration of the events authorised by TENs in relation to individual premises is 21 days in a calendar year;
  • The maximum number of people attending at any one time is 499 (including staff); &
  • There must be a minimum 24 hour period between separate temporary event notices in relation to the same premises.

TENs must be served on the local authority with copies being sent to the Police and Environmental Health Department. A fee is payable and there are strict notice periods.

The notice for a standard TEN is 10 working days. If objections are received the matter will be decided at a hearing of the licensing committee or local authority.

Late TENs can be submitted with 5 working days’ notice. If objections are received the TEN is refused.

A holder of a personal licence may give a maximum of 50 TENs in a calendar year (of which 10 may be late TENs). Others may give a maximum of 5 TENs in a calendar year (of which two may be late TENs).

It is advisable to take legal advice before submitting the TEN but used properly they can make a huge difference to a premises’ profitability during peak periods.

If we can assist you in any way, or if you simply want to discuss any licensing & gambling issue, please contact us at any time.