Personal Licence

Alcohol may only be sold to members of the public where the sale has been authorised by a personal licence holder.

If you are running a licensed business which sells alcohol you must have a designated premises supervisor named on the premises licence and that person must hold a personal licence. However, it is good practice for other members of staff to also hold personal licences.

In order to obtain a personal licence you must:

  • Obtain an approved qualification such as the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH);
  • Provide an up to date Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check;
  • Provide two certified passport photos of yourself; &
  • Submit the appropriate application forms to the licensing authority.

A personal licence is no longer required to be renewed but if any of the details on the licence change the licensing authority must be informed and an administrative fee may be payable.

For example if a personal licence holder moves home they must inform the licensing authority which issued the licence of the change of address. If they are named as designated premises supervisor on a premises licence they must also inform the licensing authority which issued the premises licence of their change of address.

Failure to comply with these requirements can result in a criminal conviction and a fine.

A personal licence can only be granted to an individual:

  • Who is over 18 years old;
  • Who holds an accredited licensing qualification;
  • Who has not had a personal licence forfeited in the last 5 years; &
  • Who does not have a conviction for any relevant offence or foreign offences.

If we can assist you in any way, or if you simply want to discuss any licensing & gambling issue, please contact us at any time.