Adult Gaming Centres/Family Entertainment Centres

Amusement arcades offer a variety of amusement games and gambling facilities by way of machines. There are 3 types of amusement arcade:

  • Adult gaming centres (AGCs);
  • Licensed family entertainment centres (FECs); &
  • Unlicensed family entertainment centres.

The licences and/or permits required by amusement arcades differ depending on their type as each type of amusement arcade can offer specific categories of gaming machines.

In order to operate an adult gaming centre (AGC) an operator will require an operating licence, a premises licence and possibly a personal management licence.

Adult gaming centres may offer a mix of B3, B4, C and D gaming  machines.

Due to the nature of the machines available in an AGC no one under the age of 18 years is allowed to enter an adult gaming centre.

Family entertainment centres (FECs) may only provide a mix of category C or D gaming machines. Those offering category C machines will require an operating licence and premises licence and no-one under the age of 18 years is allowed to enter an adults only area of a licensed family entertainment centre where category C machines are located.

FECs offering only category D machines can operate with a permit only which is issued by the local authority.

Due to the complexities of the licensing arrangements and the category of gaming machines anyone wishing to operate an adult gaming centre or family entertainment centre would be well advised to take legal advice prior to submitting any applications.

If we can assist you in any way, or if you simply want to discuss any licensing & gambling issue, please contact us at any time.