Construction & Engineering – Associate/ Senior Associate – Contentious and/or Non-Contentious
We are a full-service law firm based in Newcastle upon Tyne serving clients throughout the UK and further afield. We have an outstanding reputation for delivering high quality partner-led advice with exceptional personal service.
Our team includes 32 partners, 90 fee-earners and 40 people in support roles. Our client base includes large companies, owner managed businesses, healthcare professionals, leisure operators and rural businesses.
With a history stretching back over 125 years, we recognise the importance the contribution that businesses like ours should and can have on the local community and we, therefore, encourage our partners and employees to get involved and give back to the local community in which we live and work.
Our vision is to set the standard for legal excellence and in doing so, to become the law firm of choice for businesses, organisations and individuals. To meet our vision and deliver an outstanding service we employ individuals who understand our clients’ needs, take pride in what they do and how they do it. Our values go to the heart of the firm. They define who we are and how we work. It is by remaining true to our values that we will achieve our vision. This is what we value most:
- Teamwork – we trust and respect one another. We see strength in our diversity as individuals and as a practice. We achieve the best outcomes for clients when we work collaboratively, recognizing and respecting the different perspectives that we bring.
- Excellent Client Service – We take the time to truly understand our clients’ needs and aim to provide practical, tailored and commercial solutions – not just options – to help them achieve their goals. Through hard work and commitment, we aim to develop long-term relationships with all our clients, taking pride in the value that we add.
- Professionalism – We work to the highest professional and technical standards, acting with the utmost integrity at all times. We are fiercely proud of our reputation as being a trusted adviser to our clients, often over several generations, and continually strive to ensure that our clients’ interests come first and foremost.
- Our People – We work together to create an open, supportive and friendly working environment where our people feel valued, can develop their careers and achieve their professional ambitions.
If this sounds like a vision you would like to be a part of, our values resonate with your own personal values, and you meet the requirements of the role described, we’d be delighted to hear from you. Please read on!
The firm has recently embarked upon an ambitious strategic plan. As part of our growth strategy we are looking to expand our busy and growing Construction & Engineering team and require fee earners between 6-12 years PQE (applicants either side of that bracket will be considered depending upon experience). Should the ideal candidate wish to work part-time hours, we would be happy to discuss a working arrangement that would meet their personal needs as well as the requirements of the role.
We are keen to speak with candidates who currently undertake either contentious or non-contentious work, or both, as the department’s current workload spans both disciplines. Non-contentious work includes drafting, negotiating and advising upon building contracts, professional appointments, sub-contracts and associated bonds and warranties. The successful candidate will also provide support to our wider Real Estate team on development and construction matters as well as corporate support work. Contentious work includes construction adjudication, arbitration and litigation as well as project support and strategic dispute advice.
You will be working alongside and assisting a Partner but you will run your own caseload and be encouraged to develop a leading role in business development. In this role you will need to demonstrate the ability to work under time pressure and to exacting client demands.
Experience and a proven track record of running a case load and experience of business development is essential. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and ambitious and will be able to demonstrate an ability to prioritise and work to strict deadlines. Good communication skills are essential as is managing expectations across a wide range of competing needs and a willingness to cover a variety of tasks.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Hybrid working available
- Opportunity to work within a highly regarded and growing team
- Opportunity for career progression
How to Apply
Please send your CV with a covering letter including your current salary to Anna MacKenzie (email@example.com) or upload below.